As I spin my lonely dreydl on this Christmas eve, I wish my goyish friends a happy holiday.  I’m a little jealous.  But not because I don’t get any presents, but because Christmas music is way cooler than Hannukkah music.  The closest we get to popular holiday tunes are an Adam Sandler song and the Klezmatics’ album of Woody Guthrie penned Hannukkah music.

OK, so most contemporary Christmas music sucks.  I know -- I worked at a record store for five years, during which we were forced to play Christmas tracks around the clock every December.  I knew all the words to Rosie O’Donnell’s A Rosie Christmas the year that one was released.  I’ll spare you a hyperlink.

But if Bob Dylan can get into Christmas music, I guess I can too.  After all, Darlene Love boasts that it took three Jews to write what she terms the greatest Christmas song of all time:



Darlene returned the favor some years later with “Christmas for the Jews”, an instant rhythm and blues classic if there ever was one.

Here’s Miles Davis on Christmas:


“Blue Xmas” is on a compilation CD called Hipsters’ Holiday, which I recommend, although I have found that evangelical East Texans don’t like it.  But they spin Bob Wills tunes in Aggie country, and that’s OK too (Aaah-Aaah!).  My next pick probably doesn’t go down very well down there either, but I understand that its quite popular in the UK around Christmastime, where they presumably have a better collective sense of humor:


No knocking Darlene Love, but “Fairytale of New York” might just be the greatest song of all time, Christmas or not.  Those three Jews were seriously bested by a couple of Irishmen.  I tend to listen to “Fairytale of New York” on repeat whenever I dig it out.

Happy Chrismukkahzaa everyone. Sorry about that war on Christmas that we started.  Maybe the above illustrates that to a large degree, as a culture we've already moved past narrow definitions of the holiday season, both in terms of those that would privilege a false sort of authenticity that legitimizes hierarchies of moral authority, and those that would place the crass commercialization of the holidays above discourses that poke holes into Christmas mythology, or those that celebrate charity and community. Yes, the radio still plays Mariah Carey way too much. But these are not really obscure or "indie" genres or artists that I've selected either. (Sorry that there are no heavy metal Christmas tunes here, E.)

Now then, about that whole peace thing:

Share this post:

No Response to "A Jew's Soundtrack to Christmas"

Post a Comment